Some examples of tactics of harassment or "cyberstalking" may use include:
- Sending manipulative, threatening, lewd or harassing emails from an assortment of email accounts.
- Hacking into a victim’s online accounts (such as banking or email) and changing the victim’s settings and passwords.
- Creating false online accounts on social networking and dating sites, impersonating the victim or attempting to establish contact with the victim by using a false persona.
- Posting messages to online bulletin boards and discussion groups with the victim’s personal information, such as home address, phone number or Social Security number. Posts may also be lewd or controversial – and result in the victim receiving numerous emails, calls or visits from people who read the post online.
- Signing up for numerous online mailing lists and services using a victim’s name and email address.